Our School History

 

Immaculate Conception School History 1938-2015

 Class of 2010

Now, let’s go back and review our early beginnings…

Immaculate Conception School opened its doors on September 12th, 1938

At that time, it accommodated 235 pupils in grades one to five. From the

outset ICS has been staffed by the Congregation of Saint Joseph of

Brentwood.

Sister Mary Osmund was the first principal.

arch1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In October 1949, the enlargement of the building began.
This included the cafeteria and auditorium. The present dedicated faculty of religious
sisters and lay men and women holds masters and bachelors degress in the fields of
education and other disciplines.

Ms. Dorothea Y. Breen

is the current principal.

As an integral part of Immaculate Conception Parish, which is staffed by
the Passionist Congregation of priests, the school is a local landmark
in the Jamaica Estates area. Presently, ICS serves 500 students
from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. ICS is justly proud of its
graduates, many of whom have become professionals and leaders in
this and other communities.
PHOTOS from the Early Years of Our School
the 1940s thru 1960s below:

The 1940s

 

arch5 1945

arch6

ics1942a

1940s

Parish 1940s

May Crowning 1946

The 1950s

1950 school addition

Twirlers 1950

May Crowning 1956

As we move into the 1960s, our parish church is undergoing a massive renovation.  The long awaited

construction of the upper church began. It was dedicated on September 22, 1962 by Bishop McEntegart.

The church is designed in the Romanesque style to accommodate 1,350 persons in the nave.

A photo of the front of the church is below (it must be visited, however,to appreciate its

marvelous architectural beauty)

Through the efforts of Mr. Carl Ballenas and the Aquinas Honor Society, there is much more

information on the parish history as well as the

beautiful stained glass windows inside. There are

35 windows – each 17 feet by 3 feet – designed by

Albin Elskus of the Durhan Studio. The front

windows of the Church (near the main

doorway) tell the story of the Immaculate

Conception in the 3 window panels. The

Epistle side of the Church contains 16

windows that portray the mysteries of

the Rosary. The 16 windows on the Gopsel

side represent the Church and the work

of the Church . The Sacraments and gifts

of the Holy Spirit are also depicted.

You can view an updated booklet below

where you can see images and a

brief description of the stained

glass windows. Once again, however,

a visit to the church, is the only way

to truly appreciate their beauty.

STAINED GLASS WINDOWS

NEW AS OF SEPT. 2012

We now have a website that includes 3 new videos.

The first video shows the gravesites of the Passionist Priests of

Immaculate Conception, the second show the Stations of the Cross located on

our grounds, and the third shows the exterior and interior

of our beautiful school

When you “click on” a video from the link below, it will first show a

black screen – this will take up to 30-45 seconds to load before the

video starts.

They may be viewed full screen as well

NEW VIDEOS OF OUR SCHOOL AND ITS ENVIRONS


Images from the mid 1960s

1965a

1965b

1965d

1965dd

1965bbb

BACK TO THE HOMEPAGE